29th June 2020


What is the latest guidance on staying at home and away from others?

See our Information for Parent Carers page for the latest guidance.

I need help or want to offer support, where can I go?

If you believe you are in a vulnerable group, or are having difficulty during this time, please register with
the West Sussex Community Hub, which will help you to find support locally. You can also call on 033
022 27980, lines are open 8am to 8pm.

What should I do if I need to self-isolate?

You should follow the NHS advice about staying at home. Where possible you should try to get
someone else to care for the child(ren) so that you can self-isolate in a separate room. You ideally need
to keep two metres away from others, sleep in a separate bed, and use your own towels. Please see
more advice here.

Reaching Families are using their Facebook group to enable parents to ask for and offer help with
things like shopping, deliveries, etc. You can join the group here.

There are also a number of Mutual Aid Facebook groups being established at a local and county level.
You can search for mutual aid groups at https://covidmutualaid.org.

How can I get food and essential items from the shops?

If you are self-isolating because you or anyone in your household has symptoms of Covid19/Coronavirus, then you should not leave the house to do any shopping. You should enlist the help of friends, family or neighbours to drop essential urgent supplies to your doorstep with no contact at all
(see what should I do if I need to self-isolate?).

Stores are remaining open, many have reduced their opening hours to ensure they can increase cleaning; restock shelves and protect staff especially when they have a reduced workforce. Some local stores have begun offering deliveries to their local communities and may have supplies of essentials. It is also more likely that you could call or message them to check availability or ask them to hold something for you, before you leave the house. Social media and the various groups set up have collated many lists on which stores are offering deliveries, check with your
local Community Coronavirus Support Group.

It is highly recommended to use cashless payment options, and even contactless if possible.

The major supermarkets have put in place some restrictions on purchases and have set aside some
hours for vulnerable and key workers. Check with your local stores and/or social media.

My child gets angry and can become violent, what can I do?

Reaching Families have worked with Jane Cross, Independent Trainer and Consultant, to produce a
fact sheet on Challenging Behaviour during Coronavirus. It looks at what may be challenging behaviour,
why it happens and ways to support good behaviours.

Young Minds offer support and advice to Parents, Children and Young People on many aspects of
mental health, with additional resources for during this Coronavirus situation. One area that has been of
concern for many families is the increased risk of violence while on lockdown. Young people with
developmental issues may struggle to manage angry feelings. Children who have speech and language
problems can get frustrated when they find it difficult to understand and communicate their emotions.

When a child or young person is very angry, they can get verbally or physically aggressive and even
violent. YoungMinds provide the following advice:

“It can be hard to help them, especially when they say there is nothing wrong and that everyone else
has the problem. If safe to do so for you and the child remove yourself from the room. If not safe to do
so, and you feel that you or anyone else are at immediate risk of harm, warn the child that if the
aggression does not stop you will contact the police and follow through if they do not stop.

Calling the police to intervene in a situation with your child is an incredibly difficult thing for any parent
to have to do. If your safety, or the safety of other family members, is in question, this may be the only
course of action. The police can be incredibly supportive in responding to mental health issues, and can
section someone under the Mental Health Act, if appropriate.”

I’m worried about Domestic Violence, what can I do?

Anyone forced to change their behaviour because they are frightened of their partner or ex-partner’s
reaction is experiencing abuse. Domestic abuse can happen to anyone, regardless of age, background,
gender, religion, sexuality or ethnicity. The lockdown imposed because of Coronavirus has increased
the risk of domestic violence for some people.

Suggested actions if you are experiencing Domestic Abuse:

• Firstly, speak to a trusted neighbour, family member or friend and arrange a safe word and
emoji that can be texted to them quickly in an emergency so they know to contact 999. Ask
neighbours to call 999 if they hear arguments or violence. Keep phones topped up, charged
and accessible.
• West Sussex County Council recommend downloading personal safety phone apps like Hollie,
which can silently contact designated people with a shake or tap of a phone. It can also work if
deceleration, impact or non-movement is detected.
• If you are in a situation where violence is escalating, try to move away from the kitchen where
there are sharp or heavy objects and stay close to the exits or any lockable rooms you can
barricade yourself in while you get help. If you are in immediate danger, call 999.

Safe in Sussex are a local charity that can offer advice and support, contact them Monday to Friday
from 9.30am to 4pm on 0330 333 7416, or by emailing info@safeinsussex.org.uk More information can
be found at www.safeinsussex.co.uk

Domestic abuse is never the fault of the person who is experiencing it. Domestic abuse is a crime.

Sussex Police- Domestic abuse information

National Domestic  abuse helpline

West Sussex County council- Domestic abuse information

My child/young person struggles when out and about and I am worried that during this time we may be stopped by Police, what can I do?

From Monday 1st June, you are allowed to spend time outdoors, including private gardens and other outdoor spaces, in groups of up to six people from different households, following social distancing guidelines. This can include a Carer who is not a member of your household
being within the 2 metre rule if necessary. See the guidance here

Sussex Police have the Pegasus Card scheme, for people who find it hard to communicate with the
Police – they keep your pre-registered information safely and can access it quickly if you call or see us.
You don’t need to repeat all your details. Registration is free and for anyone who has a disability or
illness that may make it hard to communicate with the police in an emergency or difficult situation.

Reaching Families and West Sussex Parent Carer Forum have teamed up with Amaze and other
agencies to produce a letter that you can print & carry with you, which helps explain if you are
challenged while out and about for exercise.

There are various carer cards available, namely you can receive one if you register with Carers Support
West Sussex and Jane Green, Director of InfiniteAutism has created some simple cards for carers and
people with additional needs, which you can complete using the Adobe fill and sign tool, then
download/print to carry with you.

What advice and support is there for Siblings of Children with SEND?

At this difficult time, siblings will be spending far more time at home together than usual. This could be
adding extra tension and creating more anxieties. Where possible, try to set aside some time for each
child and help them to talk about their feelings, or acknowledge their concerns, but try to keep it age
appropriate – see the questions above on anxiety. Keeping in contact with friends and other family
members via technology is just as important as getting some exercise.
YoungSibs have a website with lots of suggestions and advice.



Should I be asking my child’s doctor for additional medication for them at this time?

GPs and pharmacies are reassuring patients that medical supply chains are in place and working well
but we have also read stories about shortages and delays. Check your child’s supply of medication now
and, if you are worried about running out, you should call your GP surgery or Community Paediatrician
and talk to them about reordering.

Should I go to the doctor if I have a temperature or cough?

No. Use the 111 online coronavirus service if you have any of the symptoms. 111 will tell you what to do and help you get a test if you need one.

The NHS advise that anyone with symptoms should stay at home for at least 7 days. If after 7 days, you do not have a high temperature, you do not need to continue to self-isolate. If you still have a high temperature, keep self-isolating until your temperature returns to normal.

If you live with others and you are the first in the household to have symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19), then you must stay at home for 7 days or longer until your temperature is normal, but all other household members who remain well must stay at home and not leave the house for 14 days. The 14-day period starts from the day when the first person in the house became ill. See their website.

If you get worse or your symptoms last longer than 7 days you should call NHS 111.

What should I do if my child gets unwell during this time?

Medical professionals are urging us to still consult with our GP’s or other members of medical teams if you have any health concerns, while being cautious not to overload the NHS by avoiding dangerous activities and considering which is the most appropriate response for situations. This poster was produced by The Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, it may be worth downloading or saving as a quick reference guide.

Call 111 if you are worried about a baby or child under 5.

If your child seems very unwell, is getting worse or you think there is something seriously wrong, call 999.

Should/can we stock up on personal protective equipment (PPE), hygiene products or over the counter medicine? Can GPs help as some shops are already empty?

PPE like masks and gloves are in short supply across all local authorities. Most supermarkets are now
operating restrictions on the amount of sanitary goods, medicines and food staples that people can buy
so supplies will be maintained.

If you have care staff from an agency providing care to your home, they should continue to provide their
own supplies of PPE and they should be able to order supplies as necessary through processes set up
by Public Health England to respond to this pandemic.

The Government has produced guidelines for those receiving Direct Payments and this covers advice
on PPE and where you may be able to access it. If you use Independent Lives for respite or Payroll services, you may be able to contact them to secure PPE supplies.

If you already get pain relief medication via prescription, you will be able to reorder this via your
nominated pharmacy, otherwise you would have to contact your GP first to request it. If the big
supermarkets don’t have any paracetamol or Calpol, try your local corner shop or convenience store.
Alternatively, ask some of your neighbourhood or online networks.

My child has high anxiety/mental health issues and is very worried about the CV/Covid-19. What can I do to support them?

How a child or young person reacts can vary according to their age, how they understand information
and communicate, their previous experiences, and how they typically cope with stress. Negative
reactions may include worrying thoughts about their health or that of family and friends, fear, avoidance,
problems sleeping, or physical symptoms such as stomach ache.
During this time, it’s important that you take care of your family’s mental health – there are lots of things
you can do, and support is available if you need it.

Listen and acknowledge: Children and young people may respond to stress in different ways. Signs
may be emotional, behavioural or physical. Look out for any changes in their behaviour.

Provide clear information about the situation: All children and young people want to feel that their
parents and caregivers can keep them safe. The best way to achieve this is by talking openly about
what is happening and providing honest answers to any questions they have. Explain what is being
done to keep them and their loved ones safe, including any actions they can take to help, such as
washing their hands regularly.

Be aware of your own reactions: Remember that children and young people often take their emotional
cues from the important adults in their lives, so how you respond to the situation is very important.

Create a new routine: Life is changing for all of us for a while. Routine gives children and young people
an increased feeling of safety in the context of uncertainty, so think about how to develop a new routine
– especially if they are not at school.

Limit exposure to media and talk about what they have seen and heard: Children and young people,
like adults, may become more distressed if they see repeated coverage of the outbreak in the media. A
complete news blackout is also rarely helpful as they are likely to find out from other sources, such as
online or through friends.

Reaching Families have worked with Jane Cross, Independent Trainer and Consultant, to produce a
fact sheet on Understanding Anxiety in Children. It explains anxiety and discusses the current situation,
as well as offering practical strategies to help.

Special Needs Jungle has produced this useful article.
The Government have produced this document.

There are easy to read, video resources and social stories explaining coronavirus for children and
young people, for example:

Reaching Families – Coronavirus and the new normal
Public Health England – Looking after your feelings and your body

I have high anxiety/mental health issues of my own and I am getting very anxious about the CV/Covid19, what should I do/who can help me?

It is understandable to feel anxious in times like these.

Reaching Families can offer access to affordable (£10 per session/£5 if on work-related benefits) emergency TELEPHONE COUNSELLING for parents struggling with mental health issues. If you would like to make a self-referral to this service please complete the contact form or email counselling@reachingfamilies.org.uk

Reaching Families are also offering free weekly Mindfulness zoom workshops, which can be booked via Eventbrite.

There are a number of online resources to help with coping strategies. In particular we would recommend the following (links are shortened for

NHS- every mind matters
Mind- anxiety self care
The Guardian – “The secret of calm”

National Autistic Society- Strategies for managing anxiety


My child has currently got therapy support or other appointments coming up. Will these still be going ahead?

We recommend you contact the provider in question if you have not heard the week before your
appointment and confirm before you set off to travel.

Many providers and services are now offering virtual appointments, please contact them to inquire if this is an option that may be available to you.

In addition to my child with SEND/underlying medical condition, I also care for an elderly relative. What should I do?

As both elderly people and those with underlying medical conditions are at greater risk we advise you to
do all you can to minimise spread of the infection according to the latest NHS advice

All carers are advised to create an emergency plan with the person/people they care for, to use in
circumstances where help from other people to deliver care may be needed. Depending on the
circumstances, this could be help from family or friends, or a care provider. In order to create an
emergency plan that fits the needs of the person you care for, you will need to set out:

  • the name and address and any other contact details of the person you look after
  • who you and the person you look after would like to be contacted in an emergency
  • details of any medication the person you look after is taking
  • any ongoing treatment they need
  • medical appointments they need to keep

You should also ensure that it is in a format that can readily be shared with other people who will need
to discuss the plan with the person you care for. Further information can be found at Carers UK.

You may be able to arrange help and support from family and friends, but it can be reassuring to have
the involvement of your local authority (we suggest contacting the Community Hub – West Sussex
Community Hub, or call 033 022 27980, lines are open 8am to 8pm – in the first instance if you don’t
have a Social Worker) or healthcare provider in case informal arrangements fall through. You can
contact Carers Support West Sussex for local information and advice.

There is further advice in this Government link, for unpaid carers offering care to families and friends.

Coronavirus is a real threat to vulnerable members of my family, should we consider an Advanced Care Plan or ReSPECT document for them?

There is a lot of information in the media about whether some people will get treatment if they need it
because of Covid-19. There is a Clinical Frailty Score (CFS) system, which could be used to help
Doctors make decisions on whether a person has a good chance of recovery if they receive intensive
care treatment, or whether palliative care, where there comfort is the most important consideration, is
more appropriate. This CFS system is primarily designed for older people, but it had raised concern that
it puts children and adults with learning disabilities &/or medical conditions at a disadvantage in
securing treatment.

The NHS Specialised Clinical Frailty Network was quick to make it clear it did not recommend the CFS
be used for those with learning disabilities and other groups. “It [the CFS] may not perform as well in
people with stable long term disability such as cerebral palsy, whose outcomes may be very different
compared to older people with progressive disability. We would advise that scale is not used in these
groups.” However, it said other aspects of the guidance – including discussing the risks and benefits of
critical care support with patients, carers or advocates – were still relevant.

Therefore, discussing with your Doctor, Paediatrician or Specialist, whether an Advanced Care Plan, or
a ReSPECT (Recommended Summary Plan for Emergency Care and Treatment) document, might be
worth considering, could be an option. These documents can take into account many different
situations, and can focus on whether there is a progressive deterioration in health and quality of life, or
whether that with the exception of acute illness, health is stable and quality of life is good. Your medical
professional can provide advice and support with this, you may be able to request to speak to a
Palliative Care team or discuss this with someone from the Hospice or Community Nursing Team if you
are under one. There are also resources online that can help you to think about what treatment options
you do and don’t want to consider.

Together for short lives

Child and young person’s advanced care plan

Resuscitation council UK

Special Child

My child’s PA is symptom free, would they still be able to come and help/take my child out now schools are closed?

Yes, though Social Distancing measures are in place and you should only leave the house for permitted
reasons, see above.

What advice should I be giving to my child’s PA about self-isolating, whether they should still be
working, etc?

As employers, we have responsibilities and we want to be sure we are doing things properly.
Independent Lives have produced some really useful, detailed guidance about what to do if your PA is
self isolating either because they are displaying symptoms or because you feel it’s safer for them to do
so for everyone’s wellbeing. See www.independentlives.org/coronavirus

We know that some families are being creative with their care and may be utilising video calls and other
services, such as having carers shop for essential supplies instead, but this may not be an option for
many families.

This Think Local Act Personal website gives advice for families using Direct Payments about access to
PPE and links to the Government Q & A for direct payments.

The Government has announced that all essential workers can be tested if they are symptomatic for
Coronavirus, you as an employer can register, or the keyworker can self-refer themselves or a member
of their household (which would force them into self-isolation and unable to work/leave the house).

If you have concerns about whether to have your PA’s back, because of the Coronavirus risk, discuss with your social worker, agency or payroll provider, or your employer insurance, if they have a helpline.

Is there any extra funding available if my child’s PA can do extra hours?

There has been no statutory guidance on this as yet, so we would advise you contact your Social
Worker or Choice Social Worker to discuss your individual circumstances.

My child is due to have an Social Communication / Autism assessment or further assessment by a
paediatrician in the Child Development Centre, will this go ahead?

We understand that NHS England have advised all Child Development Centres to cancel any
appointments for assessment that are non-urgent at the present time. We expect that you will receive
confirmation of this directly if you are awaiting an appointment.

We understand that CDC’s will continue to offer appointments – almost all by phone- for children with
complex neuro-disability and epilepsy. Children will be seen if the clinical need is urgent.



I’m worried we will be asked to provide some education or learning for our children whilst they are off school, but I wouldn’t know where to start.

Schools will have sent home resources for the children. Clearly, this may be much harder for some
children with learning difficulties or additional needs, or if you have to work from home as well as look
after the children. There are lots of tips online from experienced home educators, including advice to
create a clutter-free learning space and a schedule to help you all know what to expect and keep on
track, but try not to put too much pressure on yourself or your children as this is going to be new for
everyone. Remember exercise and fresh air will be beneficial for you all, so try to get plenty into your
day, a great idea we’ve seen is to “walk to school”, to go for a walk in the morning before you start any
activities, just as though you were walking to school.

For further information,  lots of links to resources, ideas and support please go to our Education page.

How long will schools be closed for?

The Government has announced that schools should reopen for early years (including
nurseries and childminders); reception, Year 1 and Year 6 from the week commencing 1st June,
providing that the settings can operate safely.

The Government expects secondary schools, sixth form, and further education colleges to begin some
face to face support with year 10 and 12 pupils, although does not expect these pupils to return on a
full-time basis at this stage.

Special schools, special post-16 institutions and hospital schools should work towards a phased return
of more children and young people without a focus on specific year groups and should be informed by
risk assessments.

My child is going to start back at school, how can I help them cope?

Schools have been asked to ensure classes have no more than 15 children in, so class sizes may be smaller which could mean they are not with some of their friends. It may also mean they are not returning to school full time yet.

There are many resources for helping children with return to school: · Reaching Families have created an animation on Coronavirus and going back to school. · The Royal College of Occupational Therapists have produced this top tips guide to help parent carers prepare their children for returning to school. · 8 minute film to help deal with any potential apprehension or anxiety children may experience on returning to school. · Transition resources for different age groups and for children with Autism, including social stories · SchudioTV – Preparing Autistic & SEND Children for going back to school · SchudioTV – Preparing for the big transitions (starting new schools) after Lockdown

If my child is eligible, is it compulsory for them to attend school?

Children and young people in the eligible year groups and priority groups (such as children of critical
workers) are strongly encouraged to attend, as requested by their school or college, unless they are
self-isolating or there are other reasons for absence (such as shielding due to health conditions).
You should notify your child’s school or college as normal if your child is unable to attend so that staff
are aware and can discuss with you.

Parents will not be fined for non-attendance at this time. Information sourced from the Governments advice for parents and carers.

I’m worried I won’t be able to cope if schools are shut for a long time. Who should I call?

Nobody knows how this situation will play out and if, when, and for how long schools will be shut. If you
are worried about how you will support your child at home then please talk to your child’s school in the
first instance. You can always contact West Sussex Carers Support Response Line on 0300 028 8888
or Samaritans 0845 790 9090, Carer Support’s website for additional support and seek peer support from other parents/carers on the Reaching Families Facebook
Group or other local parent-led SEND groups.

My child has an EHCP, can I send them to school or nursery? Will they receive all their EHCP

Children with EHC Plans are prioritised for school and nursey attendance, this also includes children with a draft EHCP. Now that there has been progress in reducing the transmission of coronavirus, all eligible children are encouraged to attend settings (where there are no shielding concerns for the child or their household), even if parents are able to keep their children at home. Each school/nursery setting will be able to advise what they can offer. 

The DfE provided an update guidance document on vulnerable children and young people on the 27th March 2020. You can find the full guidance here. This guidance allows some changes to the precise provision in EHC plans; with local authorities needing instead to apply ‘reasonable endeavours’ to support these children and their families. As such, while we are in this Coronavirus situation and a local authority is unable to secure the full range of provision stated in a plan, as long as they use their ‘reasonable endeavours’ to do this, they won’t be penalised for failing to meet the existing duty.

My child attends an alternative provision (AP) school, are they still open?

Not all settings will remain open, however significant numbers of children in AP meet the definition of vulnerable – having a social worker (children in need, those on child protection plans or those who are looked after by the local authority) and/or children with EHC plans. Local arrangements should determine whether keeping AP settings open is feasible to do so. Contact your AP school to check what they have put in place. 

Alternative provision settings should mirror the approach to re-opening being taken for mainstream schools and also offer some face-to-face support for years 10 and 11 students (as they have no year 12). Children of critical workers, and vulnerable children who are already eligible, should continue to be offered a place, regardless of the year group they are in. 

My child is at college/further education setting, what is happening with them?

Colleges and other providers are being asked to continue to provide care for a limited number of children and young people including: 

  • dependents of critical workers 
  • vulnerable children and young people 

Where it is not possible to remain open, providers will work with other providers in order to put alternative arrangements in place for vulnerable learners. 

Secondary schools, sixth-form colleges and further education colleges have been asked to offer some face-to-face support for year 10 and year 12 students who are due to take key exams next year, alongside priority groups. 

My child has a place with a residential provider, can they remain there?

The Government has asked residential further education providers to keep their residential provision
open where necessary, and decisions made on a case by case basis. It is especially important that
residential providers remain open to those who have particular needs that cannot be accommodated
safely at home, and those who do not have suitable alternative accommodation.

My child is entitled to go to school (& has a confirmed place during this time), will they still be entitled to transport and they will need to wear a face covering?

The Coronavirus Bill allows for some statutory provisions to be disallowed, this means that it has
amended the provision of free transport to become “reasonable endeavours”, West Sussex County
Council have stated:
• Children who travel on county council-provided transport (coach, minibus or taxi) should still
have access to a full service, but due to possible staff shortages, some flexibility will no doubt
be needed and appreciated.
• All parents who do not accompany their children to school are advised to have a contingency
plan agreed with their child in case transport is late or does not arrive. This is particularly
important at the moment.

From 15th June, it is a requirement to wear a face covering on public transport, however, those who have school transport provision may not be required to do so. When deciding whether children wear a face covering on school transport, it is also important to remember:

· school transport is unlike public transport, in that it generally carries the same group of children to and from the same destination each day – this may help reduce the risk of cross infection

· children and staff won’t be expected to wear face coverings in school · it is important that those using face coverings are able to do so properly – guidance on how to wear and make a cloth face covering is available.

My child is going through EHC needs assessment but does not have a draft EHCP, are they part of the priority group?

Currently they are not part of the priority group. SENAT will continue with the assessment as best they
can but until they issue a draft EHCP these pupils do not become part of the priority group.
At the point of agreeing a draft EHCP they will discuss with parents/school the wish for them to return to
school. Decisions and actions associated with individual pupils returning to school will be made as is
most sensible for that pupil and taking into account the current challenges.

The deadlines which previously applied to LAs when considering EHC needs assessment requests
have been relaxed. Where it is not reasonably practicable or it is impractical for an LA or other body to
meet certain deadlines “for a reason relating to the incidence or transmission of coronavirus (COVID19)”, they must instead complete that step as soon as it is practicable for them to do so.

These changes are included in the Special Educational Needs and Disability (Coronavirus)
(Amendment) Regulations 2020 (the ‘Amendment Regulations’), which amend the timescales in the
SEN and Disability Regulations 2014. The changes are in force until 25 September 2020.

Can I request an EHC needs assessment at this time?

Advice from IPSEA states that: “The guidance on EHC needs assessments and plans during the
COVID-19 crisis makes clear that requests for assessment must continue to be considered.
Decisions about whether or not to assess will continue to be made solely on the legal test. If a LA
refuses to assess, then it must continue to send out the statutory notification (along with notice of
appeal rights and deadlines) to the parents or young person…Where it is not reasonably practicable or
it is impractical for an LA or other body to meet certain deadlines “for a reason relating to the incidence
or transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19)”, they must instead complete that step as soon as it is
practicable for them to do so.

These changes are included in the Special Educational Needs and Disability (Coronavirus)
(Amendment) Regulations 2020 (the ‘Amendment Regulations’), which amend the timescales in the
SEN and Disability Regulations 2014.

The changes are in force until 25 September 2020. Importantly, they do not apply where the deadline
had already passed before 1 May 2020 – because the Amendment Regulations can only be relied on
for the period since they came into force.”

I have a SEND tribunal coming up, will it go ahead?

SEND tribunals are going ahead during this Coronavirus time on paper or by phone or video. Special
Needs Jungle have an article answering many questions and providing information. The Government
has also produced technical advice on how to join these tribunals, if you have one scheduled.

Where can I go to get support to help keep my child safe online?

When using IT equipment, pupils should try to avoid awkward static postures by changing position
regularly and getting up/moving and stretching between tasks.

Children should take regular rest breaks with at least 5-10 minutes of non screen time every hour. This
will help to protect their eyes and also will help with their attention span.

Pupils should sit in a suitable position in the home such as a kitchen table or desk; sat in a comfortable
and a supportive chair. It is not safe or healthy for pupils to be using laptops on their laps or mobile
devices whilst sat on a sofa or in bed. Charging cables must be kept secure and used safely to avoid
fire hazards or risk of electrocution.

Where PCs are being used, they should be set up and adjusted to ensure screens are at eye level and
keyboards and mice are accessible so as to avoid eye and neck strain.

Pupils using mobile devices, including laptops tablets and mobile smartphones should be supported to
take regular breaks (every 20 minutes) and to use stands where possible to help tilt the screen.

Good hygiene should also be encouraged including wiping mobile devices with suitable cleaning
products on a regular basis.

If you or your child are concerned about something they have seen online or have experienced any
negative issues, you can report via the Internet Watch Foundation and Child Exploitation and Online
Protection Centre (CEOP), details below:

Social Media: If children stumble across worrying or criminal content online, it should be reported to
the Child Exploitation & Online Protection centre via the this link: www.ceop.police.uk/ceop-reporting/

Child sexual abuse images: If criminal content is discovered online, it should be reported to the Internet
Watch Foundation at www.iwf.org.uk/report. Criminal content in the UK includes child sexual abuse
images, criminally obscene adult content as well as non-photographic child sexual abuse images.

Online terrorism: Terrorism related content should be reported to the police’s Counter Terrorism
Internet Referral Unit at www.gov.uk/report-terrorism.

Hate speech: Online content which incites hatred on the grounds of race, religion, disability, sexual
orientation or gender should be reported to True Vision ahttp://www.report-it.org.uk/

For more general information about ways to stay safe online, visit our web-pages

Credit for the above advice goes to Alison Hannant – Schools Safeguarding Adviser, Safeguarding in Education.

You can forward any suspicious emails to report@phishing.gov.uk The National Cyber Security
Centre’s automated programme will immediately test the validity of the site and if found to be a phishing
scam, it will be removed immediately.

The Trading Standards Scams Team run Friends against Scams, an online learning session that aims
to empower people to take a stand against scams. It has recently been updated to cover coronavirus related scams.

The Cyber Aware Campaign offers advice for staying safe during this time.



What is happening with Disability benefits – DLA & PIP – during this time?

Reaching Families have produced a fact sheet available on our website, detailing changes to DLA &
PIP at this time.

WSPCF have information on their Updates to Services page

Robert Hayes, the West Sussex Welfare Benefits Advisor, is in place to provide advice and support on
benefit queries, contact him via email at robert.hayes@westsussex.gov.uk or call on 033022 22569.

My child would normally receive free school meals and I am worried about the extra costs of feeding my family when the schools are closed

Under normal circumstances, schools are not expected to provide free school meals to disadvantaged
children who are not attending due to illness or if the school is closed. However, schools are expected
to provide meals or vouchers for those children entitled to free school meals, the Government has
issued guidance and set up a scheme for schools to access shopping vouchers and we recommend
you contact your child’s school to find out what plans they have in place.

Children and Family Centres

All groups and events for children, young people and families have been stopped. Nine centres remain
open across West Sussex to act as support centres, offering crisis payments and for distributing food
parcels. The list of these centres is as follows:

• Adur and Worthing – Durrington and Kingston Buci Family Centre
• Arun – Treehouse Children and Family Centre
• Chichester – Chichester Children and Family Centre
• Crawley – Bewbush Children and Family Centre
• Horsham – Hurst Road Youth Centre
• Mid Sussex – Park Youth Centre

Contact details and addresses can be found on their website. Please contact them if you need support.

Trussell Trust Food banks

If you cannot afford food during this Coronavirus situation, please contact the Trussell Trust:

I am self-employed, what help am I entitled to?

Please see our Benefit Changes fact sheet, it gives information on the Self-employed Income Support
Scheme and ESA (Employment & Support Allowance).

I am an employee, what help am I entitled to?

Please see our Benefit Changes fact sheet, it gives information on SSP (Statutory Sick Pay), Parental
Leave, Furlough and the Job Retention Scheme.

Will my tax credits be affected if I am furloughed or working less hours during Coronavirus pandemic?

The government has confirmed that people who can’t work their normal hours because of coronavirus
(COVID-19) will still receive their usual tax credits payments.

Those working reduced hours due to coronavirus or those being furloughed by their employer will not
have their tax credits payments affected if they are still employed or self-employed. This will be the
case until the Job Retention and Self-employment Income Support schemes close – even if you are not
accessing one of those schemes. You do not need to contact HMRC about this change.
You should still report any other changes in income, childcare and hours in the normal way. You must
tell HMRC if you or your partner lose their job, are made redundant or cease trading. Check GOV.UK to
see if any additional or alternative support is available based on your personal and financial

How will I pay my rent or my mortgage if I have to stop working?

Emergency legislation will be taken forward as an urgent priority so that landlords will not be able to
start proceedings to evict tenants until 23rd August for at least a three-month period. As a result of these measures, no
renters in private or social accommodation needs to be concerned about the threat of eviction. At the
end of this period, landlords and tenants will be expected to work together to establish an affordable
repayment plan, taking into account tenants’ individual circumstances. Until 30th September 2020, most landlords will not be able to start possession proceedings unless they have given their tenants at least three-months’ notice.

Mortgage lenders have agreed they will support customers that are experiencing issues with their
finances as a result of Covid-19, including through payment holidays of up to 3 months.





Back to top